After the earthquake, everything which had made Crouch End what it was had gone. The great Channel was dry, the mines in the Muswell hills had collapsed, and the shoals of herring no longer swam into what is now Hornsey High Street. The Municipal Burgers and the Squire used the monies accumulated over the centuries to clear the rubble, most of which was used to fill the empty Channel, although some was held back to seal the old mines in the Muswell Hills, and so prevent any repetition of the tragedy. Eventually, as the rubble was cleared and the workers moved on to employment elsewhere, the area returned once more to gentle farmland, and the folk who remained to a pastoral existence.
The area once more became notable in 1858 when it was decided to build a "Palace of the People" - a rival to the Crystal Palace - on the site in the Muswell Hills formerly occupied by the Pickling Factory and many other major buildings in former years. After many delays the Palace was opened to the public in 1873, and many thousands travelled to see the opening ceremony performed by Queen Victoria. It was also watched by a band of Travelling People who were camped - as was their time-honoured custom - in the fields below the new Palace, and as they sat round their campfire certain elders of the tribe - reputed to be descendants of the original fishermen of the River Crouch - shook their heads sadly and remembered the curse of the ancient Bishop of Ferme.


Authors' note:
This manuscript has been carefully scrutinised by a prominent local historian, who has declared it to be totally inaccurate. We would, however, like to apologise for any accuracies which may have been inadvertently included.